I congratulate the BILD newspaper for stopping to use photos of nude women
A commentary by Thomas Schirrmacher
(Bonn, 11.05.2018) When I was quoted in a teaser on the front page of the BILD paper, the largest newspaper in Europe, on Jan 30th 1999, I couldnât get myself to proudly pin the page on my wall, because a misogynistic topless photo protruded into the quotation. When the BILD once presented a pope with a BILD-Bible and the photo of the presentation was flaunted on the front page, even then a nude photo was placed directly below it.
In March 2012 the BILD got rid of the daily nude âBILD-girlâ on the front page, after more than 5000 of such title pages. The interior part of the paper, though, showed almost daily nude âBILD-girlsâ, or else women were pictured nude in articles, or photos of the newest Playboy editions were reprinted. But there were hardly ever two nudes in one issue. In addition there was plenty of traffic on the porn page of the BILD, together with the âBILD-girlsâ and much hype over the election of the nude âBILD-girl of the monthâ and âBILD girl of the yearâ.
On March 12th, 2018, the BILD announced in a very bawdy article, that they would henceforth âshow no own topless-productions of women any moreâ, because they increasingly had the impression, âthat women perceived these pictures as offending or degradingâ. The paper would supposedly invent âa new style of photography for womenâ, which meant de facto BILD-girls in bikinis and sexy underwear. It also said, that it was thought impossible to completely dispense with topless photos, as for instance in the case, when Kati Witt appeared in the Playboy, but one would in the future be âmore careful and reflectiveâ in this regard.
As half-hearted as that may be, and as much as it may just follow the general trend, because especially women donât want to see total nudity any more, which therefore has no longer any advertising effect on them â I nevertheless congratulate the BILD for this decision.
The less pornography, the better for the dignity of women, the better for gender equality, the better also for the self-confidence of all who donât look flawless.
For this I want to adduce four reasons:
- Several recent inquiries show: The frequency of sexual encounters decreases noticeably in the Western world, while the frequency of auto-sexuality (masturbation) strongly increases, in proportion to pornographic depictions.The sexual revolution kills just that, which alone was called âsexâ in former times, namely sexuality in pairs.
- A summary of all available surveys worldwide has just substantiated, that there is a close correlation between a high consumption of internet-pornography and the jump of âerectile dysfunctionsâ among under-fourties. Again: Pornography kills sex. More and more young people cannot do âitâ any more without pornography.
- Parents today explain âthe facts of lifeâ to their children usually only regarding contraception, and genuine consultation is as rarely found as in previous generations. They rather refer to school, young people magazines and pornographic depictions in the internet. âThere youâll see, how it works.â Therewith they refer to all that, which dominates the internet pornography: Sexual violence, sex without condom, misogyny etc. Thatâs the only âsex educationâ many teenagers get. According to opinion polls conducted by the Federal Agency for Civil Education, more than 50 percent of the male youths state, that the internet is their most common or sole source of information regarding sexuality.
- Last not least, ironically Pamela Anderson, together with a rabbi, in Wall Street Journal, declared pornography, and thus her own life, to be the gravest error; she then urged society to turn their back on pornography. Shelly Lubben had already backed out earlier, and more and more people formerly involved in the porn industry are now pressing accusations.
Thomas Schirrmacher published on the subject of pornography:
- âAufklÃ¤rungsformate im Fernsehen: Die Ironie der sexuellen Revolutionâ, pp. 202-208 in: Die Medienanstalten (Hg.). Programmbericht 2014: Fernsehen in Deutschland: Programmforschung und Programmdiskurs. Vistas: Leipzig, 2015. ISBN 978-3-89158-610-5
- âInternetpornografieâ, pp. 141-160 in: Berthold Wald (Hg.). Freiheit und Bindung: zur Ambivalenz menschlicher SexualitÃ¤t: Vorlesungsreihe der Katholischen FakultÃ¤t. Bonifatius: Paderborn, 2015. 250 pp. ISBN 978-3-89710-510-2
- âProducing Child Pornography in Order to Reduce Child Molestation?â, pp. 361-363 in: Ileana Rogobete, Alexandru Neagoe (Hg.). Contemporary Issues Facing Families: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. Bonn: VKW, 2013. ISBN 978-3-86269-083-1
- âInternetpornografie â Verbreitung und psychologische Folgenâ, pp. 115-133 in: Friedhelm Jung (Hg.). Orientierung in orientierungsloser Zeit: Festschrift fÃ¼r Paige Patterson zum 70. Geburtstag. Lage: Lichtzeichen Verlag, 2012. ISBN 978-3-86954-077-1
- Interviewtexts pp. 218, 220, 223-224, 239-241 in: Petra Grimm, Stefanie Rhein, Michael MÃ¼ller. Porno im Web 2.0. Schriftenreihe der NLM 25. Berlin: Vistas, 2010. 978-3-89158-523-8
- âSie glauben, Frauen sind allzeit verfÃ¼gbarâ (Interview on the book âInternetpornografieâ). Bild der Frau Nr. 39 vom 20.9.2008; pp. 30-31.
Books by Thomas Schirrmacher on the subject of pornography:
- (mit Christa Meves) Ausverkaufte WÃ¼rde? Der Pornographie-Boom und seine psychischen Folgen. HÃ¤nssler: Holzgerlingen, 2000. ISBN: 978-3-7751-3544-3; https://www.thomasschirrmacher.info/buecher/ausverkaufte-wuerde-der-pornographie-boom-und-seine-psychischen-folgen/
- Internetpornografie â¦ und was jeder darÃ¼ber wissen sollte. Holzgerlingen: HÃ¤nssler, 2008. 217 pp. ISBN 978-3-7751-4838-2; https://www.thomasschirrmacher.info/buecher/internetpornografie-und-was-jeder-darueber-wissen-sollte/
Translations of the book âInternetpornografieâ into the Romanian and Russian language:
- Internetpornografie (Romanian): Thomas Schirrmacher. Demnitate pierduta â Pornografia pe internet. Adevaruri, pericole, evolutie. Oradea (Romania): Scriptum, 2011. 208 pp. ISBN 978-973-1813-36-3; https://www.thomasschirrmacher.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/demnitate-pierduta-txtw.pdf
- Internetpornografie (Russian): Tomas Schirrmacher. Pravda o pornografii. Ãbersetzt von I. W. Proswirjakowoj, Lektoriert von W. S. Rjagusowa. Bonn: VKW, 2010. 170 pp. ISBN 978-3-86269-007-7; https://www.thomasschirrmacher.info/ethik/prawda-o-pornografii/